SENIOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
WELBIO (Walloon Excellence in Life Sciences and Biotechnology) is an inter-university research institute subsidized by Wallonia. WELBIO’s mission is to support excellence in strategic fundamental research in life sciences through rigorously selected programmes carried out by WELBIO Investigators in the universities of the French-speaking Community of Belgium, and to promote the translation of scientific discoveries into biomedical applications.
WELBIO is seeking an entrepreneurial and dynamic Senior Business Development Manager – Life Sciences, passionate about translating scientific discoveries into successful innovations to create value for our society based on results generated by WELBIO research programmes.
The successful candidate will partner with the university TTOs and the WELBIO Investigators to develop and implement valorisation strategies for results emerging from WELBIO research programmes. The Senior Business Development Manager will also manage the WELBIO Bridge funding process intended to mature early-stage intellectual property to reach the next technology transfer step. This impactful and highly visible role reports to the Managing Director and is based at WELBIO’s headquarters at Wavre, Belgium.
- Partner with the university TTOs and the WELBIO Investigators to proactively develop and implement valorisation strategies for results emerging from WELBIO research programmes;
- Obtain endorsement from WELBIO’s Research & Valorisation Committee prior to implementation of proposed valorisation strategies;
- Identify, initiate and consolidate strategic partnerships with relevant players in the Walloon region and beyond, including industries, biotech, and competitivity clusters;
- Drive the WELBIO Bridge funding process to mature early-stage intellectual property generated by WELBIO Investigators, including determining the right fit within an overall valorisation strategy and developing a network of experts for evaluation.
- Master’s in Life Sciences or equivalent;
- At least 10 years of experience in a business development role, or equivalent industrially-oriented work experience, in the field of life science & biotechnology.
- Highly effective at leading and influencing through a network of key stakeholders;
- Speaks both ‘ academia and industry’ languages;
- Strong business acumen, proactivity, solution-oriented, self-awareness ;
- Strategic agility combined to excellent project management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, in French and English, and ability to engage a diverse set of audiences;
- Flexibility and high tolerance to ambiguity;
- Knowledge of the biotech & life sciences landscape in the Walloon region is a plus.
- Impactful and highly visible role;
- Full-time permanent contract with a salary package commensurate with your experience.